Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fly Predators

The first year that I brought a horse to my property I was in shock one day when I went to my barn to find flies buzzing everywhere and I felt like I was in the fly version of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". Mind you I had one horse at the time. I might add that I am surrounded by neighbors who raise cattle.

Heading to Home Depot like an Indy racer, I stocked up on fly paper and traps in the hopes of outwitting those pests. We had some relief, but the last straw was when I saw hundreds of flies sunning themselves on my deck which is 200 feet from the barn. Did they think this was their version of Spring break? Was I supposed to serve cold beer?

Planning early the following year I ordered Fly Predators and eagerly awaited my first shipment. Fly predators sole purpose in life is to live on manure and eat fly larvae. It's a beautiful life. They don't bother anyone else, are barely visible and reportedly are in the wasp family but don't sting.

The package arrived with several small cocoons. I eagerly awaited for them to start to hatch before I sprinkled them on manure. It's not overnight magic, but having done this for several years I can tell you there has been significant improvement even with cattle surrounding us.

In addition, this year I'll be experimenting with hanging zip lock bags of water with a few pennies in them. Sounds like making a wish, but I've read several recent articles about how this repels flies. I'll keep you posted.

Kathy, Horsedrivensite.net

No comments:

Post a Comment