The horse flies have been particularly large and aggressive this year. Could it have been from some of the hot and humid weather conditions? At the competitive trail ride outside of Toledo last week they were fierce and numerous, and threatened to spoil an otherwise great weekend.
Sprays seemed to be a temporary fix, but we all know that sweating dilutes the effectiveness. A clever fellow rider had the answer in a rump cover that could be attached to the back of the saddle and under the tail. It was light but durable mesh bordered by soft polar fleece and colorful trim. I was glad to purchase one of her last covers.
The day was saved. As the temperature rose from the start of the race at dawn, the the flies rested on my horse's backside; it was comical to watch them hang on and try to bite without success. I don't know if it was the movement or the thickness of the mesh, but the confused flies had no effect but hung on like we were the last taxi on a Saturday night. As I looked behind me I giggled and my horse was completely unaware of the joke.
Thank you inventive fellow riders.
Happy Trail, Kathy, Horsedrivensite.net
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment