Friday, July 9, 2010

The Good Life

As I was packing up the truck and trailer preparing to head out to a competitive trail ride, I was in and out of the barn with supplies. It was late evening and I had given the horses their last flakes and fresh water (and of course a treat). Fireflies were rising effortlessly from the grass like tiny stars they floated into the air. The sunset was changing the color of the sky every few minutes. One minute pink, the next tangerine.

I watched my horses munch on hay then turn and spend long moments looking at the horizon. It occurred to me how wise they were to take those pauses to soak in the beauty before them. The other amazing thing was that they would take time away from their beloved hay. The scene made me stop my packing to share in the quiet, colorful end to the day. I need to do that more often.

Happy Trails, Kathy, Horsedrivensite.net

No comments:

Post a Comment