Thursday, June 3, 2010

Doggone It

Let me say right off the bat that I am an avid dog lover. Anyone who visits our home is greeted by our very enthusiastic and friendly Springer Spaniel. I love all types of dogs and I have great respect for their intelligence and for their instincts. That being said, I am often puzzled by the decisions that some dog owners make.

It's not unusual to be trail riding on shared trails to come upon people walking their dogs unleashed. Not all dogs are used to being around horses and dogs faced with a new situation may exhibit unpredictable behavior. Also horses feeling threatened have the potential to gravely harm the dog. As I said to one dog owner as I pointed to his dog and then to my horse, "wolf relative, meat". He wasn't amused.

The point is that we cannot deny natural instincts and we all need to take precautions.

Happy Trails, Kathy, Horsedrivensite.net

No comments:

Post a Comment