Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mud Fight

Spring brings rain and rain brings mud and mud brings a challenge because horses love it so. My current strategy is to keep the horses in, let them dry out and start chipping away. I have a variety of grooming tools. One is shaped like a flower, another looks like a messager, and another is a rubber mitt with nubby bumps to loosen hair and break apart those dried up chunks of dirt. I use them all and sometimes with one in each hand.

I wear a dust mask to prevent back lung, so I look like a surgeon in a very dirty operating room. I then brush, starting with the most course brush to the finest, with "cookie" breaks for the horse because getting clean can be stressful and usually unwanted. Without hot water in my barn, I utilize a waterless shampoo as the final step.

I then rest up to do it all over again the next day.

Happy grooming, Kathy, Horsedrivensite.net

No comments:

Post a Comment