Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Balancing Act

It doesn't take long when you're riding a horse to realize that a large part of the sport is a "balancing act". My 'Aha" moment happened when I came to conclusion that my Achilles tendinitis may have resulted from an imbalance in riding; putting more pressure in my right stirrup.

At Equine Affaire this weekend, I had the opportunity to watch a seminar by Colleen Kelly, an exercise physiologist, now a biomechanics expert, who lectures all over the world. Colleen did a great job illustrating the effects of imbalance on your horse's performance. It made me more aware of foot and knee placement as well has how I align my body in the saddle.

Being mindful of bad little habits we may have developed and correcting them can make a difference in how you feel and how your horse feels while working. If Colleen comes to your area, be sure to take time to see her. She's also pretty funny and makes learning fun.

Happy Trails, Kathy, Horsedrivensite.net

No comments:

Post a Comment